SIP Trunking is a combination of different communication methods with the goal of streamlining them into a more cost-effective system. Once your business has decided that SIP Trunking could benefit your company, you have to begin SIP Trunk migration. In some ways it isn’t an easy process, but with these tips you can have a smooth transition.
The first thing to do is effectively plan for the SIP Trunk migration. Take stock of your infrastructure and review your billing statements. This information will help your SIP provider determine the best method for implementing SIP Trunking.
Be Ready for Important Decisions
One of the biggest benefits of SIP Trunking is its flexibility. However, with that said, you need to prepare for a few vital decisions that will occur during SIP Trunk migration.
- What is more important to your company: call quality or bandwidth?
- What are your plans for the analog items that you won’t need any longer (i.e. modems and fax machines)?
- Are you going to use internal resources for the SIP trunk migration, or select a reseller or PBX vendor?
Choose a Carrier Carefully
The carrier you opt for is vital to how much you pay and the quality of your SIP Trunks. Here is what you need to consider:
- What is the NPA-NXX-XXXX footprint? Does it cover the areas you require service?
- What are the initial costs for the SIP Trunk migration?
- What are the reoccurring costs you will pay each month?
Once everything is in place, be sure to test everything. This might be the most important step; you need confidence that everything is operating correctly before opening the VoIP system for business. Here is what you need to test specifically:
- Inbound calls, including: standard DID, toll-free numbers, DID to voicemails, and IVR
- Outbound calls
- Call forwarding, extending to a mobile device, and carrier take backs and transfers
- Inbound and outbound fax capabilities
The success of your SIP Trunk migration is directly correlates to your planning and preparation. Once everything is in place, SIP Trunking can bring many positives to your VoIP System. If you have any questions regarding business phone systems, please contact Advanced Communication Systems today at 800-750-3624. You can also follow us on Facebook.