Businesses often need to take stock of their communications needs, and this includes cabling. The most frequent times for assessment are when a company relocates or experiences consistent technical problems. It’s always best to examine the infrastructure first, because the wiring is the building block of your business phone system. A lot of businesses choose to a mainly wireless system, because they are attempting to keep costs low. However, this option sometimes leads to limited bandwidth, slow connectivity, and limited upgrade options. Structured cabling is a better choice for other businesses.
Structured cabling links the entire business phone system into a streamlined service for all your devices. It can require a onetime investment in hardware and installation, but the advantages typically outweigh the upfront cost.
Advantages of Structured Cabling:
- Increased Bandwidth – permits faster connectivity to numerous devices
- Centralized Control – allows quick assessments of issues and adjustments to the network
- Organized Infrastructure – allows easier handling of all voice, data, and video needs of the business
- Scalable Network –adapts to growing needs and easy addition of new devices
- Aesthetic Appearance – streamlined wires to avoid cluttered and unsafe wiring
If structured cabling is right for your business, you then must assess the correct time to make the switch. One of the few drawbacks to structured cabling is the lengthy installation time. A business needs to carefully plan the best time to undergo the installation.
Best Times to Install a Cabling System:
- When you are planning on relocating
- If you have time for a little downtime in connectivity
- When you have a short break on the work calendar (holidays or scheduled shut-downs)
- If your current system needs repairs or replacements
- When you are experiencing problems with your current system
- If you are planning for growth in number of employees, number of devices, or size of facility
The infrastructure needs of businesses are always evolving. Some businesses are better off with a wireless solution, whereas some businesses benefit more from structured cabling. In either event, businesses should plan accordingly to determine which option best benefits them. If you have any questions regarding what solution would best help you, please contact Advanced Communication Systems today at 800-750-3624. You can also follow us on Facebook.